Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Buttons

I am back from my trip to Utah. I went to my older brother's wedding and of course went flower shopping! My husband pointed out to me that it was a sign I had to go to Hobby Lobby!
Today I will be bringing in a couple new headbands...they are each one of a kind. They are made with real antique buttons. I recently got a large tin of unique buttons that belonged to my Grandmother Jewel. It was later that I realized they had actually belonged to my Great-Grandmother because of the variety of  real vintage buttons.
My Great-Grandmother Daisy owned her own dress shop during the great depression called The Froc and Bonnet.
 The buttons were kept in a tin can that had roses on it. It is a candy tin for Mrs. Stevens Chicago chocolates. When I looked up this company I found out a little more.
"Mrs. Steven's Candies proved a very popular item in Chicago for several generations. Her three-pound box that sold for a dollar made it possible during the Depression for people with marginal incomes to purchase a quality box of chocolates. Her candy eventually sold through 22 retail stores and 800 outlets across the country."
Grandma told stories of when her father would go on business trips and bring her back presents. I can only imagine he brought back chocolates for his wife Daisy!

Love,
AshleyAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment